There are many popular openings in today’s go world. Living Go legend Gu Li (9P) likes to use openings that have been popular in the past that aren’t used that often today. After some examination, he selected the three star opening, which matches his style in the 1st decade of 21st century.
A Modern Three Star Opening
Gu Li’s version of the three star opening is different from that of the famous Japanese player Takemiya’s “Cosmic Style”. Takemiya uses the three stars to create a moyo-type opening, whereas Gu Li’s style pays attention to both thickness and territory, creating a balance in harmony.
Gu Li’s SanRenSei (left) vs. Classical SanRenSei (right)
The analysis of Jiang Zhujiu (9P) contains five different games…
- 1st May 2005: Gu Li (as black) using 3-Star formation against Yoda Norimoto (9P, Japan) in first round of the 4th CSK Cup
- 3rd May 2005: Gu Li (as black) with 3-Star opening against Lee Sedol (9P, Korea) in third round of the 4th CSK Cup
- 18th April 2004: Gu Li (as white) playing the 4-Star-Opening against Lee Changho (9P) in the 17th Fujitsu Cup
- 4th June 2005: Gu Li (as black) with ‘Cosmic Style’ against Song Taekon (7P, Korea)
- not dated: Gu Li (as black) against Zhou Junxun (9P, Taiwan) in semi finals of a special Internet tournament
(PDF created by Bill Cobb, SGF transcriptions with SmartGo)